Are you interested in taking pharmacy technician classes? We think that’s a great idea! These classes could lead to a fulfilling and worthwhile career. If you’re in San Antonio, look into the classes at Southwest Schools (SWS).
Pharmacy Technician Classes
SWS is a career school. All classes are focused on what students need to know to do the job they hope to have after graduating. Pharmacy technician classes are focused on teaching basic pharmacology skills and operations. Courses cover all aspects of the work: from the computer software to the different types of medications. This program also helps students prepare for the Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) exam they’ll take after graduation. At SWS, the pharmacy technician curriculum includes the following classes, among others:
- Office Procedures
- Introduction to Pharmacy and Pharmacology
- Professional Development
- Pharmacy Law and Regulations
- Nervous System, Drugs, Dose Forms, and Routes of Drug Administration
- Respiratory, Gastrointestinal, and Basic Measurements
- Chemotherapy and Nutrition
- Muscle Relaxant, Hormones, and Topicals
You can choose from day classes or night classes, depending on what works better for you. Day classes occur Monday through Thursdays from about 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Night classes are also Monday through Thursday from 5:45 p.m. to 9:55 p.m. Both programs include a five-week externship to give you real, on-the-job experience. Externships prepare you for your potential career. Your externship supervisors could even serve as job references when you start your job search. You might be surprised at how many types of companies hire pharmacy technicians. Externships and potential jobs might take place at any of the following workplaces:
- Retail Pharmacy
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Facility
- Drug-related Companies
- Residential Pharmacy
Pharmacy Technician Career Outlook
Have you heard of the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)? We mention it often on this blog. It’s part of the U.S. Department of Labor and measures everything about the American job market. For every profession, they report the average salaries and how fast the job market is growing. They also provide general information about the work environment and duties. Here are some of the things BLS says about pharmacy technicians:
- There are more than 400,000 pharmacy technicians in the U.S.
- In the U.S., pharmacy technicians earn an average annual salary of more than $30,000. The highest 10 percent makes about $45,000 per year.
- The largest employer of pharmacy technicians is pharmacies and drug stores (52%). Following them are hospitals, general merchandise stores, and food and beverage stores.
- Over the next eight years, the job outlook for pharmacy technicians is expected to grow at 12%. The average growth rate for ALL occupations is only 7%. It’s encouraging that pharmacy technician jobs are predicted to grow faster than this average!
Southwest Schools in San Antonio
You can take pharmacy technician classes right here in San Antonio at SWS. For more than 35 years, SWS has trained Texas students for healthcare careers. Are you ready to start classes and potentially change your life? Give us a call us at (830) 626-7007. You can also plan a visit to see our campus for yourself. Our staff can answer all of your admission and financial questions. We look forward to seeing you take the first step towards your new career!